Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Review: Slammed

ISBN: 978-1476715902
Pages: 352
Source: Own
Publication Date: January 5, 2012
Initial Reaction:
Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.
Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.
Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.
Hello everyone! Today I've got my review for Slammed by Colleen Hoover. I've been meaning to read a new Colleen Hoover book and I thought I'd go back and read one of her older novels before jumping into November 9 which the next book on my list.
Quick warning before I get started, there might be quite a bit of fangirling because this book was absolutely amazing!!  
I was never a huge fan of poetry - it was just something that I never got into but this book makes me want to give it a second change and fittingly enough I have an English paper on poetry that I need to work on. I went into this book not really expecting anything since my first two Colleen Hoover books left me with complete different reactions. I also did a pretty good job in avoiding anything related to this book and I definitely have to say that I was pleasantly surprised.
Lake and Will are probably my favorite out all of the Colleen Hoover couples that I have read about. Their relationship is just so tender and beautiful and I was rooting for them from the very beginning. That plot twist that threw their relationship into a loop had be terrified because I wanted everything to end well so badly for the two of them.
As a character, Lake has a lot of emotions that are just bottled up and she finds a place to let them all go with Will and poetry. Honestly, life threw a lot of curveballs at her and she is constantly struggling to dodge them. There are a couple that hit her and throw her off course but she somehow manages to get back onto the right path. Will's willingness to step back and let her sort out her problems without their relationship getting in the way is just so heartbreaking and beautiful. He's so young and has a world of responsibilities that he has to deal with and the way he just takes everything into stride is definitely admirable.  
The poetry is definitely my favorite part of the story because it became the outlet for many of the character to reveal themselves with words. Each poem was beautiful, raw, and unique and it allows you to become closer to each person. I have to give a shoutout to Eddie's poem because she is just one of the most amazing characters and there's one particular scene where I just wanted to curl up in a ball and hug the book because it was so incredibly precious.  
Like I've said multiple times, this book is amazing and definitely my favorite out of all the Colleen Hoover books I've read. I don't know if I should continue on with the story because I've heard mixed things about the second and third book and I kind of want to keep my beautiful image of the characters. If you have read the second/third books, let me know what I should do!
4 out of 5 stars
  

Foreverly Obsessed,



No comments:

Post a Comment