Saturday, December 19, 2015

12 Days of Christmas (Day 5): Riv Adventures - Recital Comeback

Hello everyone! Welcome back to another post! So today is going to be a quick one because it's currently 11:18 pm as I'm writing this and I'm so exhausted. So I played at my first recital for the first time in eight years and I just wanted to rant a bit about it. 

So performing is something that terrifies me to no end. 

I have trouble dealing with the pressure and an audience of people who are staring at you. I've technically performed in front of a lot of people multiple times in church, charity concerts, choir concerts, etc. but they're just different. In a bunch of them I have other people onstage at the same time which I think takes away some of the pressure, but recitals...

To relive my experience, I was internally freaking out. I was the last one to play since the order was arranged by age and most of the kids were younger than 10. When my name was called, I almost tripped and had to keep chanting to myself: Don't fall.

The actual playing wasn't as terrifying as I had thought. Instead of constantly thinking ahead to what my next notes were, I focused more on the overall dynamics and musicality of the piece. I started freaking out because I couldn't remember the next notes when I was sitting in the audience but onstage everything was blank and I just played.  

So I was actually shaking for an entire hour after the recital but the experience was kinda gratifying. Memorizing 8 pages of music and spending hours on the piece paid off and I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Now I just have to do get more practice and then audition season will be here before I know it.
 Let me know if you guys have played at recitals and what your thoughts are! Any tips on those of us who are terrible at performing? 

Foreverly Obsessed,

Day 5 of



No comments:

Post a Comment