Monday, October 12, 2015

Mini Review: Touching Fate

ASIN: B014CS5NI4
Pages: 194
Source: Entangled Teen
Publication Date: October 12, 2015
Appearance:
25151797
Aster Layne believes in physics, not psychics. A tarot card reading on the Ocean City Boardwalk should have been a ridiculous, just-for-fun thing. It wasn’t. Aster discovers she has a very unscientific gift—with a simple touch of the cards, she can change a person’s fate.
Reese Van Buren is cursed. Like the kind of old-school, centuries-old curse that runs in royal families. Every firstborn son is doomed to die on his eighteenth birthday—and Reese’s is coming up fast. Bummer. He tries to distract himself from his inevitable death…only to find the one person who can save him.
Aster doesn’t know that the hot Dutch guy she’s just met needs her help–or that he’s about to die.
But worst of all…she doesn’t know that her new gift comes with dark, dark consequences that can harm everyone she loves.

Hello everyone! First off, happy book birthday to Touching Fate! If you're interested in picking up a copy, just click the cover above and you will directed to the Amazon page! Since I'm posting two reviews today (two releases) I thought I'd shorten this review into a mini one so I'm going to skip the summary and go straight to my thoughts~

I have also been fascinated with the idea behind tarot cards despite my parents being strongly against me having anything to do with them so my initial attraction to this book was pretty strong. The storyline is very unique, I will say I've never read about fate changers in this context before. While everything was pretty well executed, there were just some parts of the book that felt overdone and repetitive. 

One of the main reasons is the characters. As much as I liked Aster, Reese, and everyone else I wasn't a huge fan of the romance. For someone who has had her heart broken many times by the wrong guy, Aster's pretty willing to fall into a relationship with Reese who is a foreigner visiting America. Not to mention he's in a complete different social class and doomed to die. Their relationship just didn't sit well with me for a good chunk of the book and while I ended up rooting for them so hard, my initial feelings towards them as a couple definitely made the book a bit hard to enjoy.

I absolutely loved the idea of the curse and towards the end of the book, I was just frantically clicking pages because I couldn't wait to see what happens next. The build to the climax has just the right amount of tension that just gives the book the perfect amount of pull to keep me continuously hooked. I really enjoyed how everything played out and this book was definitely one that started slow and built to a fantastic climax. 

*Huge thanks to Entangled Teen for providing a copy to review. All thoughts are 100% my own*
3 out of 5 stars

Foreverly Obsessed,

No comments:

Post a Comment