Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Review: Summer Marked

ISBN: 1633750094
Pages: 304
Source: Entangled Teen
Publication Date: September 22, 2015
Appearance:
23014840
The sequel to the chilling Winter People returns to the world of Faerie, and is a romantic and enchanting follow-up.
Salome left humankind behind to be with her boyfriend, Gareth, in the Kingdom of Summer. But now forces of darkness are rising. Her happily-ever-after is coming apart, and the Kingdom is on the brink of war. 
Newly-single Kadie Byers is on her way home for Thanksgiving, imagining a visit filled with hot chocolate, a hot guy for a little rebound action, and some girl time with her bestie, Salome. Except she receives a message from Salome with two important words: PLEASE HURRY.
When Kadie rushes to help Salome, she’s ripped from the human world and pulled into the kingdoms of Faerie, where she's shocked to learn that Salome's monsters are real, and that she's now at the mercy of one extremely vengeful Winter Queen... 
Now both Salome and Kadie must find a way to survive the deadly chaos...or lose themselves to Winter's deadly, icy grasp.

Hello everyone! Welcome back to another review! Wow, I'm pretty impressed with myself for keeping on top of my reviews so far this week. I'll try to post something a little different to mix things up since my past couple of posts have all been reviews. Anyway, yesterday was the release of Summer Marked which is the sequel to The Winter People (my review) which I read in August and really enjoyed. If you haven't read Book 1 I'd advise you to check out my review first since this might spoil you a bit. Alright, let's get into the review~

Salome thought that after breaking the curse on Nevin and becoming a faerie to be with Gareth that life would be perfect. However the Winter Queen will not be so easily deterred and she is determined to bring all of the kingdoms under her control so she decides to hit close to home. The Queen tricks Kadie Byers, Salome's best friend, and kidnaps her which plunges Kadie into the terrifying world that is the kingdom of Winter. In Summer, Salome struggles to figure out what choices she has to make, even if they go against everything she ever wanted.

This wasn't as suspenseful as the first book in terms of suspense. In The Winter People, Winter felt like an ominous enemy while this book portrayed it as an extremely real and gruesome enemy. I literally am going to get nightmares just thinking about the bones and the Red Room.

Okay I'm going to talk a lot about characters since they literally blew my mind. Starting off with the most sadistic person I've ever read about, Grisselle the Queen of Winter. She's definitely insane but if her story is true then she does have some tiny right for her actions...or at least it makes more sense why she's doing everything. However, that does not condone her actions and basically all the torture and abuse that occurs in the kingdom. As for Kadie, I didn't love as a narrator in comparison to Sloane but I admire her struggle for survival. It was just a bit harder to connect with her on a different level other than feeling helpless and sympathetic towards her.

As for Sloane...to be honest I didn't like her as much as I did in the first book. I get the desire she wants for a peaceful life but she needs to stop being so infatuated with Gareth. My eyes got a workout from all the rolling they did at her constant fretting. On a different note, can I please get marked as well??? Even though I wanted to shake some of that romanticism out of her, I'm still so pumped for everything that's going to happen next. Okay final round-up: I freaking love Daruch and I want him alive! Aruba is the best horse on the planet. Gareth and Nevin both need to take a step back and let Sloane grow without their interference and Gwenn is amazing.

Even though I didn't experience heart palpitations from terror, the story was still intense and gripping with these beautiful descriptions of the Faerie world. I'm literally dying from withdrawal and the next book needs to be in my possession now!!

*Huge thanks to Entangled Teen for providing a copy to review. All thoughts are 100% my own*
4 out of 5 stars

Foreverly Obsessed,

No comments:

Post a Comment