Friday, July 31, 2015

Justice Buried and Balance Bound

ISBN: 1494833298
Pages: 304
Source: YA Bound Book Tours
Publication Date: January 15 2014
Appearance:
20596632
The people need Justice, but she's not listening. One hundred years before, the Great Sickness reduced the world to three cities. Now the community of Asphodel is trapped underground, waiting for the prophesied maiden of Justice to return and save them from their Fates. Sixteen-year-old Astrea is supposed to be this savior - too bad for them she isn't a believer. Trea fights against her false destiny: she rebels against her family and friends, then refuses her arranged marriage to the charming but deceitful Lexan. Learning her life is in danger, Trea is forced to trust Lexan - until she discovers a power she never knew she had, and one he already knew he did. As betrayal closes every door, Trea decides she must submit to her stars and accept her fate. Then a handsome stranger offers her an unexpected escape and the chance to create her own destiny. 

ISBN: 9781502448859
Pages: 318
Source: YA Bound Book Tours
Publication Date: October 28 2014
Appearance:
23252220
Balance Broken is the second in the Starbright series. In the first book, Justice Buried, Astrea fights to remain independent in a world which demands she submit to an ancient prophecy. In Balance Broken, she learns that independence means little when the world is depending on her.
The world cries for Order, but she’s igniting a revolution.
One hundred years before, the Great Sickness reduced the world to three cities. Now, Asphodel no longer lingers underground, and the Starbright Maiden of Justice has returned.
Everyone has faith in Astrea’s ability to save the world - but only she knows the dark truth about her powers.
Astrea teams with Stian, Lexan, and Zarea to enlist the help of Lord Hadeon of Tartarus. They hope Hadeon will aid in attacking Asphodel’s First Leader Keirna, but the Destroyer usually takes lives, not sides.
As Astrea discovers life outside of Asphodel, she begins to wonder whether the remaining world is too broken to save - especially since the price of freedom just might be her own life.

Hello everyone! Welcome back to another review! Little story, I completely forgot about these two books until a couple days ago so I had to speed read the two books and compile this quick little review for you all. Huge thanks to YA Bound Book Tours for allowing me the opportunity to read/review this series!

So since I'm talking about both books at once, I'm going to skip the usual summary and get straight into it. Ever since I read Zodiac by Romina Russel (review coming soon) I've been enamored with societies that are governed by astrological signs. The Starbright series has this tint of dystopian as well since our MC Astrea lives in Asphodel, a city built underground to escape the Sickness above. The writing style is super engaging and gripping. I'm usually not a big sci-fi/dystopian fan but I enjoyed the building of the world and society. I absolutely loved the little excerpts on the top because it gave us readers a little insight into the history.

Astrea as a character got on my nerves quite a bit. What she did was certainly admirable, but she couldn't stop complaining about how she had no choice in life. I felt so bad for Lexan throughout the first book because he's subjected to the same things that she is but he keeps his mouth shut and does his duty. Then we have Stian, our third member of this little triangle. I don't like him. In the first book he was okay but in the second book he just sent so many mixed messages I got really annoyed. And finally we have Zarea. First of all Astrea and Zarea...those names are so similar sounding (in their ending). Second, once I got over her "jealous" act, she turned out to be a pretty cool character. #Zalexan anyone? :)

Like the mentioned before, I loved the world that this story took place in. I really enjoyed discovering the history of Asphodel and the cities above ground - the events that took place and the different ways of governing the cities. Lord Hadeon of Tartarus creeped me out so much and I'm currently stuck on who scares me more...him or Kierna. Imagine a video game battle with the two of them facing off. I would like to see that!

Overall, I found myself enjoying the series more than I expected. I still need to read the novellas which I'm kind of reluctant to do so...especially for Stian's but I'm excited for the next book for sure!

3.5 out of 5 stars
 

Foreverly Obsessed,


No comments:

Post a Comment