Friday, December 12, 2014

TOUR STOP: Chandrea

ISBN: 147911569X
Pages: 468
Source: Xpresso Book Tours
Appearance:
22605642

Summary:
Chandrea Averill thinks she’s just like any other normal young woman. But, on the day of her 23rd birthday, her life changes forever.
Surrounded by magical creatures, dangerous sorcery, and insidious political intrigue, Chandrea desperately wants to return to Earth and the only life she’s ever known. But, the longer she stays, the more she realizes that she may be the only one with the power – both magical and political – to save the people of Lyrunia. Will she find the courage to remain and fight for her home world?

Hello everyone! Welcome to my tour stop for Chandrea by Marlene Wynn! As always, be sure to click on the tour banner above to check out the other amazing stops on this tour!

Before I get started, I want to say a quick disclaimer which I know is a horrible way to start a review. I am in a bit of a fantasy slump after reading a fantasy book after fantasy book for the past four months that when I got to this book, my brain simply wasn't taking things in. However, that's not say that I didn't thoroughly enjoy this book, it was amazing. My enthusiasm just might not be as over the top as usual (sorry).

On a brighter note, let's get into the review!!

Chandrea is the princess and heir to the throne. On the day of her birth there is a horrible massacre that kills her mother and father. She barely escapes with the help of her mother's lady-in-waiting who casts a powerful spell that sends Chandrea to Earth. Years later, when she has matured into an adult, she gets thrust back into the world of Lyrunia to claim her birthright and free her people from tyrannical rule.

The world of Lyrunia is really fascinating with its endless list of magical creatures from Taratorns to Mohr cats to shark lizards to pack spiders to the man eating poisonous pod plants. Can you tell this world is intricate? On top of that there is also this really interesting magic with the females being the ones gifted with the abilities making them more powerful. As Chandrea explores her new world and journeys to claim her birthright, she takes you along to explore the world with her.

I actually really liked the different POVs which are a bit of a touchy subject with me since I literally have the attention span of a squirrel and can never keep focus. All the different POVs allowed you to see what was going on besides Chandrea and I'll admit, I really liked the evil queen's POV. Her first appearance actually made me really sad for her. I guess I just have this way of sympathizing with the other side, but it gives the reader a lot of insight as to why she did what she did to Chandrea's parents.

Chandrea also (thank heavens) didn't turn out to be on of those annoying characters who discover they are part of a greater world and just happily go along with anything that is thrown at them. She gets incredibly homesick all the time for Earth and that makes her more skeptical to what she experiences. I found that a huge relief from other books because Chandrea seemed more human and relatable.

Overall, the story was really interesting and fun to read. Like I mentioned before about the fantasy slump, it took a while for me to get into the book, but I'm really excited to see how the story turns out in the later books!

GIVEAWAY

AUTHOR BIO
Marlene WynnMarlene Wynn is a Utah native – fondly referred to as “Utonian” by a friend.  She transplanted herself in 1992 from the majestic Rocky Mountains to the beachy shores of sunny Virginia Beach, Virginia and has been there ever since.  Though she has worked in the Benefits field for several years, she finally worked up the courage to chase her dream as an author.

Author links:
3.75 out of 5 stars
 

Foreverly Obsessed,

1 comment:

  1. Great review, Riv! This sounds like a really well crafted world and Chandrea sounds like a great MC - def one that sounds more relatable than the usual fantasy heroine, I agree! Glad you liked it despite being in a fantasy slump :)

    ReplyDelete