Saturday, October 18, 2014

Ice Massacre

ISBN: 0988003937
Pages: 375
Source: Xpresso Book Tours
Appearance: 
22718724

Summary:
A mermaid’s supernatural beauty serves one purpose: to lure a sailor to his death.
The Massacre is supposed to bring peace to Eriana Kwai. Every year, the island sends its warriors to battle these hostile sea demons. Every year, the warriors fail to return. Desperate for survival, the island must decide on a new strategy. Now, the fate of Eriana Kwai lies in the hands of twenty battle-trained girls and their resistance to a mermaid’s allure.
Eighteen-year-old Meela has already lost her brother to the Massacre, and she has lived with a secret that’s haunted her since childhood. For any hope of survival, she must overcome the demons of her past and become a ruthless mermaid killer.
For the first time, Eriana Kwai’s Massacre warriors are female, and Meela must fight for her people’s freedom on the Pacific Ocean’s deadliest battleground.

Hey everyone! Welcome to my review of Ice Massacre by Tiana Warner. Before we even get into this review, let me just say how freaking fantastic this was. It was such an action packed and fast paced book I really really loved it. Okay, now let's get into the review~

Ice Massacre takes place on an island called Eriana Kwai which I believe is an island in the Pacific Ocean. Every year the people of the island send 20 trained men to battle the sea demons that have taken control of the waters surrounding the island. Every year, nobody returns alive. This year, the island is sending 20 trained girls to fight and it's going to be a bloody battle.

Again, this book was fantastic. I had to read it at increments, between classes and breaks, and it drove me nuts. There is just something about the writing and the plot that makes you constantly want to turn the page next. The plot is awesome and it takes the myth of mermaids luring sailors to their doom to a whole new level. Evil mermaids? Yup, they are evil...well all of them except one and I adored her so much. Just the prologue itself had my heart beating in anticipation for what was coming next. 

Meela was so freaking amazing. I'm not even half way done with the review and I'm running out of words, so excuse the repetition. Her brother was sent out on a Massacre and he never returned, yet she didn't know that at first. She soon befriends a mermaid named Lysi and the two strike up an unlikely friendship; however, things got out of hand, her brother never returned, and Meela began to train for battle. Throughout the book she was just such a strong character, I mean, she's got to fight those crazy mermaids, but she never forgot about Lysi, about her "betrayal," and about her revenge. I love her character because she was among the few in the book who retained her humanity throughout the story. Despite the killings of hundreds of mermaids, she somehow stayed sane through it all.

The other characters were also pretty memorable. There's Annith who despite that one decision remained a faithful friend throughout the book. There's also Blacktail who stood with Meela through the Massacre even when Annith doubted her. Then we have Dani, crazy pyscho mermaid killed. Ingrained with the desire to slaughter every single mermaid in the ocean, Dani has no heart and looses her humanity within days of the Massacre. She's scary like outright insane; so overcome with bloodthirst that she disregards any of her morals. Her one goal is to lead, kill, and stay alive. Of course we have to talk about Lysi. I felt Meela's pain at her "betrayal" and half the time I couldn't even believe it. When she reappeared in the novel, I was dying for the two of them to be reunited as friends. Their friendship is so powerful and so vital to stopping the future bloodshed and bringing peace. 

And then we have the mermaid king, technically he's a merman and he's nuts. That's all I'm going to say about him other than I want him to die. Is that too sadistic of me? 

I also don't mean to sound sadistic but I loved the battle scenes. They were real, full on, action packed scenes with death, fighting, and awesomeness. That sounds really bad...awesomeness and death, but I'm serious. I could almost picture it happening and when someone died, I felt Meela's pain. It was so real, so vivid and amazing. Huge props to Tiana Warner because she definitely can write some awesome fighting scenes that seriously transport you onto the Bloodhound (that's the ship's name). 

Okay...

I NEED to vent a bit about the ending. WHAT HAPPENED? Don't get me wrong, I loved this book, but that ending left me feeling so disappointed and sad. I wanted more, I needed more, and it just ended. In other words, MAJOR cliffhanger and on Goodreads there's no indication if its going to be a series or at least have a sequel. Even a little novella, I need that conclusion because it's driving me insane. What is that thing that the crazy king wants? Do the Massacres continue? Is Lysi okay? What happened next??? 

*Breathes* I'm calm. Please don't let that last paragraph turn you off because this book is seriously amazing. I've said that multiple times but it's all true. I enjoyed this book so so much, I highly recommend it anyone looking for something fast paced and full of action. Please someone tell me if there's going to be a sequel because I'm honestly going a bit mad here 

4.25 out of 5 stars

Foreverly Obsessed,



No comments:

Post a Comment