Sunday, September 14, 2014

Meaning Behind My Name

Hey everyone!! Welcome to my first Penny For Your Thoughts post!! This series was inspired by Kayla from Bookish Owl and her series called Coffee Conversations. Basically this is a series where I rant and talk about anything from bookish things to the color of the sky to something personal. So I thought I'd start with something a little random but that's where I got the name Rivalie from.

So if you search the name Rivalie on the internet chances are, I'm one of the few people who pop up. I found the name Rivalie when I was searching through a baby naming website because I was looking for a weird and unique name for a character in a story that I was working on. I don't remember exactly what I was searching for, but somehow I stumbled across that name.

The original spelling on the website for Rivalie is actually Rivalee but I thought the two e's looked a bit weird so I substituted it with an i. Rivalie means "to bind" and surprisingly enough, it's actually a variant of the name Rebecca. To make that even more cool, my parents had told me since I was little that they were going to name me Rebecca or Sabrina before going with the name I have today. I always complained about my name because it was long and kind of like a boy's name that someone made into a girl's. So I thought it'd be really cool to take a name that potentially could have been mine and make it into a sort of "online" identity for myself.

My parents are Asian and therefore extremely cautious of the internet world. They prefer that I not post any identifiable images of myself or reveal my actual name online. Obviously, there's Facebook, but even for that, I'm using a variant name.

I've been using Rivalie ever since I created my first email account when I was in third grade and I proudly called the email: bunnies4eva (please don't send an email to that account)

After creating Rivalie I've definitely went around using different alias names for myself. I used nicknames that sounded somewhat like my name as well as names that made no sense at all. Here's a list of a couple: Ausrine, Jody, Joy, Jessalyn, and more commonly Viktoria.

I'm a little weird in the fact that I've actually wanted to get rid of the Rivalie and start with a new name but I've just grown so attached to that name that I can't stop using it. After starting my blog, my "identity" as Rivalie has definitely solidified more on the interwebs and now it's actually kind of cool because there's really no other Rivalie out there.

I know that using a "fake name" can be a bit discerning to some people cause you don't know who is really behind the screen and I do think that sometime in the future, I'll put my real name and a picture out there because it's impossible to hide behind a computer screen and alias forever. But for now, I hope you guys are okay with Rivalie and hopefully it's grown to have a connection with this blog which essentially is like an online extension of myself.

So...My name's Rivalie. I'm a 16 year old girl living in the United States of America. I'm addicted to bunnies, music, food, books,stationary, tea, and chocolate. I'm ABT (American Born Taiwanese) and a crazy BBC Merlin fanatic since 2009. Yup, that's me.

Hopefully you guys enjoyed this type of posts, I'm hoping to do more in the future. If you have any suggestions for topics, please let me know in the comments below! Thanks for reading :)

Foreverly Obsessed,


2 comments:

  1. Rebecca is a really cool name ;) jk my parents named me Rebecca because they didn't have a wide knowledge of names
    -reebs

    ReplyDelete