Monday, April 14, 2014

Cinder

ISBN: 0312641893
Pages: 387
Appearance:
11235712

Summary:
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. 
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


Hello everyone! Sorry it's been a while,  but I'm back with a review of a really mind-blowing amazing read. I can't believe it actually took me this long to pick up Cinder and I had it in my possession for about 3-4 weeks before opening the book. What in the world is wrong with me??

I'm not much of a techie, that's more of my dad with his endless numbers of gadgets and gizmos, but when I heard that Cinders was a retelling of Cinderella who btw is a CYBORG! I was completely hooked. The world building was absolutely stunning as Marissa Meyer creates the world of New Beijing. The idea of the plague confused me at first, but everything unfolds itself as the story moves on. Can I just say, Marissa Meyer is freaking talented?? Seriously, I don't get how she does this.

I was more enamored with the the world compared to the characters. I loved how unique Cinder was, how her inner turmoil was made up of the fact that she was partially made up of wires. She was a strong and complex character, but it took a bit longer than I thought to really feel connected. For the good first half, I felt more like a speculator in the story than someone that was "part of" it. Does that make any sense? Other than Cinder, I also fell in love with Iko and Peony and ...tears...lots of tears.

One of the biggest "disappointments" to me for this book was Prince Kai. He didn't exactly live up to my expectations as the Cinderella prince, but then again, Cinders is so unique in its entirety that the only loosely follows the fairy tale. It wasn't that he didn't have the "princely" qualities, it was more in his interactions with Cinder. While Cinder did maintain a strong façade in front of the prince, I felt like he didn't take her seriously most of the time and he was so easily swayed that she was the bad guy. I just believe that he should have had more faith in her.

The Lunars, holy gadgets! Creepy, scary, and perfect antagonists in my opinion. Queen Levana sent serious chills down my spine while reading. She's like perfect, beautiful, and undeniably evil. Just...I can't spoil it for you so I can't say that...(inner dilemma). 


So that's my review, sorry it took so long to post, but I'm definitely going to get more reviews up soon! Till then~

4 out of 5 stars

Foreverly Obsessed,
Riv

No comments:

Post a Comment