Monday, January 20, 2014

Demoness of Waking Dreams

ISBN: 1848450699
Pages: 400
Appearance:
13377935

Summary:
Even ANGELS can be tough... Ex-cop Brendan Clarkson is an angel with an edge. His tough exterior is the perfect camouflage for his job-hunting down the most dangerous criminals on earth. Brendan's a self-reliant and demanding lone wolf, constantly on the brink of clashing with his superiors at the Company of Angels.
Brendan is the perfect angel to track and capture demoness Luciana Rossetti. Luciana's cool, green-eyed beauty masks her true nature: inside, she's a dangerous and malevolent killer. Yet, she sees what most people don't-that beneath the layers of Brendan's rugged shell beats the heart of a passionate lover.
They are perfectly matched. Yin and yang. Angel and demon. Man and woman. But only one of them can win the battle of wills, of strength and of desire.


Hey hey hey! Welcome back to the blog! Today I gots something super special (say that with a French accent) for you all! I have FINALLY finished and reviewed the second book of the Company of Angels series: Demoness of Waking Dreams. Before I go into it and go all crazy on you, be sure to check out my review for the first book in the series, my beloved: Where Demons Fear to Tread. I have to say that while I would choose Where Demons Fear to Tread first any day, Demoness has definitely made it's mark on me and joined my list of favorite books. Now let's go crazy! (till we see the sun~)

I'm going to do a little comparison first between the two books just because. Where Demons Fear to Tread focuses a lot on redemption and finding the way back to God after you've "fallen." It also focuses a ton on love. I mean, my favorite quote from that book: Love. Love is where demons fear to tread. Demoness of Waking Dreams takes a complete different turn. At the end of Demons, I wanted to kill Luciana for everything she did to Julian and Serena, but after finishing Demoness, I wanted nothing more than for her to find her happy ending and peace with Brandon. Demoness focuses on the illusion of beauty and how things are not what they appear to be, in more ways than one.

Luciana is a demoness. She's beautiful, enthralling, and downright evil. After barely escaping from America with her life, she slowly recovers her strength and plots her revenge to take down the hated (in her perspective) Company of Angels, Julian Ascher, and Serena St. Clair. The Company of Angels is not just going to sit there like statues and wait for her attack, so they send Brandon Clarkson after her. For an angel, he's the complete opposite of Serena who is literally pure. He has his own darkness and fights it every night in his nightmares. When he finally tracks down Luciana it's like a blow to the gut. They're connected by their dreams of each other that make them want for something they know they cannot have. Each other.

Omgawds, can we just talk characters for a minute? Luciana, as I said before, she's wickedly beautiful and equally as deadly. Trained in the art poison, she has a special one just for taking down demons and angels. She never expected to feel anything towards an angel, but she's drawn to Brandon who silently but surely stalks her every move. Brandon is like the perfect Mr. Hunk. A policeman killed during duty, he is very persistent and very good at what he does. He expected Luciana to be easy, get the demoness and bring her back to America. He never expected to want her and it's not just lust, there's something deeper that runs between the two of them. All in all, their romance and relationship is definitely 10x the adventure that Julian and Serena's was. Let me rephrase that. Julian was all bent on making Serena his, trying to taint the pureness he saw in her until he unexpectedly fell in love. Brandon wanted to replace the darkness within Luciana with light because he believed she could be good, even while he battled the growing darkness inside. Julian and Serena had a more cutesy romantic relationship while Brandon and Luciana had one heck of a roller coaster.

More on character. Arielle. Remember her? Well, you should if you read the book. She was assigned Julian Ascher before he died and became demon. After she failed, she sent Serena to bring him back to light certain that her pureness would cleanse his darkness. In this book, man you see a complete different side to this girl. Before she was all the wise one, always knowing and caring. This one, she's a spitting ball of fire. Not only does she want Luciana to suffer for the evils she has done, but she's got a little chip on her shoulder involving a certain someone. Nope, not spoiling even though I really want to. I'm just going to say, that this girl came into the book with a lot of surprise so be ready.

The ending. Yes, the ending. It was like a stab in the gut for me. Let me show you:
 

That but multiply it by a million. The feels cannot be contained. I am literally dying over the ending. Somebody please help, I am dying of a broken heart and an overwhelming of feels that couldn't be contained. Another comparison, Demon's ending was beautiful and uplifting. Demoness's ending was beautiful, left a hole in the heart, and was bittersweet to point that you were crying and flooded your room. The copy I have is from the library and I sincerely apologize for wetting the pages. I blew dry them so I think they're good, but I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself. Last thing before I finish things off, this was me for the rest of the day:
image

Too stuck and surrounded by my feels, I'm sure a real train could hit me and I wouldn't feel a thing. That's not said to discourage you from reading. I have super high hopes for the next book and...wait, I can't spoil. >.< Enough said, this is one heck of a review. You BETTER pick this book up because it is just freaking amazing and beautiful and perfect and heart throbbing and breathtaking and PERFECT. So go, go and pick it up and if you need a hug after finishing, free hugs here all day and all night. See you later lovelies, I'm going to go cry in a corner at the resurface of feels after writing this~

I leave you with quotes:



Don't equate beauty with goodness, even though it may seem angelic. Demons can also take the form of beauty. They like to mimic the divine. And demons are drawn to beauty. They love to defile it. 

Let her have her moment of happiness with that angel. Love has no place among demons, but at least she might know a moment of peace. If only a moment.

You can't save someone who doesn't want to be saved.

The future. Demons don't live for the future. Not the real future. We might be greedy for something we want. But mostly, we are trapped in the past. Or we live for the moment. But if we are swayed by considerations of the future, those considerations have only to do with revenge.

Singing inside La Fenice is like being inside a diamond.
Like being inside a diamond.
Trapped inside something beautiful and glittery, yet hard and lifeless.

I will cross centuries and traverse continents to find you. I will scale mountain ranges and swim oceans to be with you. I will wait. Until the end of time if I must. I will slay dragons to be with you. I will find a way.



5 out of 5 stars

Foreverly Obsessed,
Riv




No comments:

Post a Comment